Mighty Wind Kai
|Coastal Defense Ship||Destroyer|
|Light Carrier||Standard Carrier|
|Armored Carrier||Seaplane Tender|
|Submarine||Aircraft Carrying Submarine|
|Submarine Tender||Fleet Oiler|
|Repair Ship||Amphibious Assault Ship|
The "Kyoufuu" is a seaplane that was specialized for dogfights and built by a renowned manufacturer whose pedigree of seaplanes extends even to the present day. The plane was highly anticipated as a successor to the Type 2 Seaplane Fighter for which it was supposed to be a stopgap due to troubles during development. While its performance couldn't live up to the expectations, the "Shiden Kai", which was developed with this plane as the base, saw a lot of action by, for example, providing air defense for the mainland. And now it makes an appearance as "Kyoufuu Kai", with a matured fuselage and all-around improvements!
Quest B95 offers this as a choice between two rewards, the other being the New Kanhon Design Anti-torpedo Bulge (Medium).
Characteristic of Seaplane FighterEdit
As a Seaplane Fighter, it:
- Will not enable Artillery Spotting by itself.
- Will provide additional 25 points fighter power at double chevron.
- Will not participate in Opening Air Stage bombing.
- Is immune to enemy Anti-Air fire.
- Can be equipped on Yamato Kai, Musashi Kai, Nagato Kai and Mutsu Kai in addition to ships that can equip Seaplane Bombers.
Very early in WW2, the Kyoufuu was proposed because Japan's conquest and defense of the Pacific islands would eventually strain their carrier group and not enough land bases were available in key areas or were just starting construction. It was a sound idea at the time since there were many more seaplane carriers than fleet carriers available for flexibility and could be deployed anywhere in the Pacific. While Kawanishi was specialized in building and designing seaplanes and flying boats, they were more than qualified in developing the Kyoufuu using their experience on the Shiun to create their first seaplane fighter since they were the only wartime company not being overloaded with orders. It was projected to have good performance and maneuverability on par with the Zero and this made Kawanishi realize they could go one step further and design a land-based plane using Kyoufuu as a basis, creating the Shiden. By 1943, the IJN received their first batch of seaplanes, too late for it to see its intended operational use with the loss of air superiority and carriers. A superb seaplane designed as a support fighter for light opposition, it was hopelessly used as an interceptor fighter against the new F6F and Corsair fighters and powerless to stop the B-29 Superfortress. Production ended in favor of the Shiden.
- The Kyoufuu was the only seaplane specifically designed to be a fighter in WW2.
|Improvement Cost: 130 80 300||★||S||M||T||W||T||F||S||Helper Ship|
|Consumes: 1x Shiden Kai 2||0||10/12||6/8||✗|| |
Suzuya Kai Ni
- Kawanishi N1K - Wikipedia (English Site)
- 強風 (航空機) - Wikipedia (Japanese Site)
- Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu (Mighty Wind) REX | Nationall Air and Space Museum
- ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd. (English Site)
- Kyoufuu pictures, designs and history